Monday, December 1, 2008

Today we are grateful for...






















We spent Thanksgiving this year with our friends at the church building. I cooked my first turkey with very specific directions from my mom via several phone calls. I also tried a banana cream pie recipe out of the family cookbook. The first attempt was a disaster and reminded me why last year both of the pies I cooked got thrown away instead of eaten. But with a little tweaking after some hints from Kari Heward the second try was a success. Banana cream is definately my current favorite. I'm grateful for failures in cooking from time to time because it makes the successes feel more like an achievement. Maybe pie-making comes easy to most people, but it seems like an art that has to be learned to me!

Today we are thankful for 1. Good Friends. The best thing for me so far about living here in New Haven is all the amazing people we get to associate with.

2. Seasons. We had our first snow-fall of the year today.

3. A warm apartment during this winter season. And hot chocolate.

4. Sleeping through the night.

5. Food. ....Becca Lloyd's cider, soup, and cookies. Keely Knudsen's Zuni Stew. Lia Colling's fajitas and Julia and Elli's rolls. Dinner group with two other families so that 3 nights of the week I don't cook and we still eat healthy, yummy food.

6. Girl's night out. Guy's soccer Saturday's.

7. Our families.

8. Audrey, Audrey, Audrey.

9. Being husband and wife.

10. Jesus Christ and His restored gospel on the earth today. We recognize this is where all our bounteous blessings come from. We are grateful for The Book of Mormon, the prophet Joseph Smith and the sacrifices he made to bring forth the gospel, and living prophets and apostles who guide us today.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Emily, good for you for not giving up on the pie. I, too, love banana cream--and coconut cream. Geoff and Emily, your daughter is so adorable! We miss you.