Every time I get behind an old person driving to Wal-mart (nearly the only shopping choice), or want something other than Pizza Hut or McDonald's I need to stop and remember the great things about living here. One of many is that we are in the Nauvoo Temple district. We just got back from an awesome stake conference. We took off at 8 am to get there right as it started then afterwards we go to a nice park where others are and eat a picnic lunch that I bring then we get to go see some of the sites in Historic Nauvoo. Anyone that has not been you have to make it a priority to go. It is an amazing feeling just being there. The wonderful missionaries that work there have the most interesting facts about each little house or shop. They even dress the part. You really get the idea of the experiences that the saints had. I'll try to get a better picture of the overview next time. (the week before Thanksgiving) I can't describe it. The first picture is down by the 70's hall I like that you can see the Temple. It overlooks the little historic part and is just breathtaking. The middle picture is the statue down on the banks of the Mississippi river of Joseph and Brigham looking over the valley. We had a fun time.
Monday, October 13, 2008
Stake Conference at Nauvoo
Every time I get behind an old person driving to Wal-mart (nearly the only shopping choice), or want something other than Pizza Hut or McDonald's I need to stop and remember the great things about living here. One of many is that we are in the Nauvoo Temple district. We just got back from an awesome stake conference. We took off at 8 am to get there right as it started then afterwards we go to a nice park where others are and eat a picnic lunch that I bring then we get to go see some of the sites in Historic Nauvoo. Anyone that has not been you have to make it a priority to go. It is an amazing feeling just being there. The wonderful missionaries that work there have the most interesting facts about each little house or shop. They even dress the part. You really get the idea of the experiences that the saints had. I'll try to get a better picture of the overview next time. (the week before Thanksgiving) I can't describe it. The first picture is down by the 70's hall I like that you can see the Temple. It overlooks the little historic part and is just breathtaking. The middle picture is the statue down on the banks of the Mississippi river of Joseph and Brigham looking over the valley. We had a fun time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This last picture reminds me of when I went to Navuoo for the first time while still dating Geoff. We stood in the same place only it was in the dead of winter just after Christmas. I imagined the saints leaving their warm comfy homes to cross the frozen river and travel to unknown territory. Wow. It was a moving experience that I won't forget.
Nauvoo is sacred ground, I think, because of the many sacrifices for the case of truth that so many of our ancestors gave. I love it that you encourage others to go. Take advantage of every opportunity while you live away. You are wonderful people who are making and will make giant contributions to the Lord's cause.
Yeah, I'll never forget seeing Nauvoo - the highlight for me was sitting near Joseph's grave. It's so peaceful and beautiful there. I felt the spirit testify of his greatness.
Post a Comment