Sunday, May 17, 2009

Tornado in Kirksville


We made national news but this isn't exactly how I wanted it to go down. This is an aerial view of one of the streets that got hit by a tornado that touched down here in Kirksville. I was on my way home from the airport (3 hours away from home) and I called Kevin and he said that there was some 'Severe Weather' around the area. I wasn't too concerned, we see that all the time but when I talked to him again he said that there was a 'tornado warning' which means that there has been one spotted. That got me wondering if I would be either headed straight into one on the road or my home could be a little rearranged when I got there. He said the tornado sirens had all gone off and he and another family here had hid out in the basement for about 45 minutes. He said the wind was pretty intense and it rained like crazy. It was pretty scary but we were blessed. The next day I got to work getting together lunches for the workers and those affected by the tornado. It was touching to see the generosity of all the students and the buisnesses. There was alot to do, wreckage to clean up (still), boxes to gather belongings, water and food for workers, housing for those that had lost theres, laundry needed to be done, babysitting, and love it was neat to see the community come together. It's kinda freaky when things that are supposed to happen only in the movies become real only 4 miles away from you. We are being taken care of by the Lord and are safe.

2 comments:

Becka said...

wow, that was pretty close. I'm glad you guys are ok. Great job helping those in need!

Danielle Haws said...

I heard about that from my neighbor. Her son in law is going to school there. There house was okay but they ended up housing some people from their ward that lost their house. Scary! Glad you are safe.